Subject: Re: [PATCH 3/3] git-submodule: add "sync" command

From: Mark Levedahl <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2008 17:29:48 -0400

Junio C Hamano wrote:
> I am not sure about the way you determine $remote.  When the HEAD in the
> submodule repository is detached by prior "git submodule update", this
> will fall back to the default "origin" --- is it a good behaviour?
>
> This is not an objection; I am merely wondering if that fallback is
> sensible, or if people who are interested in submodules can suggest better
> alternatives.
>
>   
I think it makes sense to split submodules into two categories, name 
them what you will, but the discernible difference is whether they are 
defined using relative or absolute urls.

1) relative url - this should *always* fetch / pull from a url relative 
to the superproject's url. Overriding not possible (except by recording 
an absolute url). The idea is these submodules are closely related to 
the superproject, and the use of a relative url is a positive 
declaration that "I will maintain this 'forest' of git trees as a unit".
2) absolute url - use .gitmodules entry as the initial hint, allow 
overrides in .git/config, such a submodule is maintained separately.

If we could reach some such agreement as above, we might begin to make 
some progress on what role the porcelain has in maintaining a 'forest' 
of git projects as a superproject and submodules.

Mark