Subject: Re: "failed to read delta base object at..."

From: Jason McMullan <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2008 17:01:58 -0400

Jason McMullan wrote:
> 
> Was this pack created on a journaled file system? Reiserfs? Ext3?
> 
> If there's journal corruption in a commonly used filesystem,
> That Would Be Bad.

In private mail, it was indicated that this was an ext3 with the
data=writeback option. From mount(1), man page, ext3 section:

    writeback
       Data ordering is not preserved - data may be written into
       the main file system after its metadata has been  commit‐
       ted  to the journal.  This is rumoured to be the highest-
       throughput option.  It guarantees  internal  file  system
       integrity,  however  it  can  allow old data to appear in
       files after a crash and journal recovery.

All bets are off when data=writeback.

- Jason McMullan