Subject: Re: [kernel.org users] [RFD] On deprecating "git-foo" for builtins

From: A Large Angry SCM <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2008 20:34:23 -0400

Linus Torvalds wrote:

> 
> So live with it, and just add the 
> 
> 	PATH="$PATH:$(git --exec-path)"
> 
> as a "compatibility layer" to your own setup already. There is no 
> downside, and I think there _is_ a big upside, and no, it's not just about 
> "/usr/bin" being smaller.

Actually, this is acceptable since I set gitexecdir to $(bindir) in my 
make invocation.

*BUT* the recent discussion of not creating the hardlinks in 
git/core/libexec, introducing obnoxious warnings when using the dashed 
forms, and eventually having the git binary error when invoked as a 
dashed command is NOT acceptable. The discussion that happened in 
November and December 2006 was only about about moving the executables 
out of /usr/bin, not the completely disabling of the dashed forms for 
those users and distributions that want them.