Subject: Re: [kernel.org users] [RFD] On deprecating "git-foo" for builtins

From: Jeff Garzik <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2008 19:49:54 -0400

Linus Torvalds wrote:
> 
> On Wed, 27 Aug 2008, Jeff Garzik wrote:
>> I use it to spit out a patch for a specific commit:
>>
>> 	git-diff-tree -p $COMMIT
> 
> Use
> 
> 	git show $COMMIT
> 
> instead, which is shorter and gives you the log too, and uses a pager by 
> default. And defaults to HEAD, so you don't even need to say $COMMIT if 
> you want to see the top one. IOW, much nicer is so many ways.
> 
> Yeah, the "much nicer" obviously does mean "different". If you _rely_ on 
> the fact that you don't get a pager (you just want to scroll youself), or 
> you really don't want to see what the commit message was all about, then 
> 'git diff-tree' is obviously "better".

'git show' is quite sufficient, as long as I can pipe its output into 
patch(1) or write it to a foo.patch file, which appears to be the case.

git-diff-tree -p was from the old days; I readily admit being a git 
old-timer :)

Anything that reduces my typing is great, and 'git show' is certainly an 
improvement in that regard.

	Jeff, typing with a sprained finger (puppies can be a handful)