Subject: Re: [PATCH v2] allow user aliases for the --author parameter

From: Michael J Gruber <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2008 10:53:23 +0200

Jeff King venit, vidit, dixit 27.08.2008 19:18:
> On Wed, Aug 27, 2008 at 10:15:19AM -0700, Junio C Hamano wrote:
> 
>>> I wonder if there is a good way to warn that we have multiple matches.
>>> Of course we expect many _exact_ matches if the author has multiple
>>> commits, but we could look for distinct matches. However, even that will
>>> turn up false positives, since some authors have multiple email
>>> addresses.
>> In order to prove unique match you would need an exhaustive check, don't
>> you?
> 
> Yes, though you also do exhaustive check in the worst case already (when
> the name doesn't match anything). It takes about .7s on a warm cache on
> my git.git.
> 
> Anyway, I think it is already not a good idea because of the semantics,
> let alone the performance.

By "it" you are referring to
- checking for uniqueness or
- the whole approach combing through commits?

I'd be happy with the patch as is (+"-i" maybe) now that I understand
the template... (I tried --author=key with a key expanding to the
(default) committer, in which case the commit template does not show
author nor committer. Duh.)

> -Peff
> 
> PS Your message also didn't go to git@vger, so I think you are having
> the same problem with Michael's message that I am.

OK: I send this To: Jeff, Cc: Junio, Nntp:
gmane.comp.version-control.git (using Thunderbird 2). (This is the
result of hitting "reply all" and deleting git@vger, because it's
duplicated by gmane...git.)

Could the two of you please tell me what you are receiving? I'm sorry
for this, but if this is a systematic problem with gmane I should switch
(and others should be warned); if it's a TB thing I will cope.

Michael