Subject: Re: Git-aware HTTP transport

From: "H. Peter Anvin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2008 22:11:25 -0700

Junio C Hamano wrote:
> 
>>> Is there a way to detect bad clients that does not obey this rule without
>>> server side states?
>> No.  Is that really a concern though?
> 
> I was more concerned about a bad/broken client not giving up forever, and
> not giving the server enough cue to give up, saying "I've conversed with
> this guy long enough but haven't reached the conclusion yet --- there is
> something wrong".  Even without server side states, if we were to trust
> clients, we can add "this is Nth round" to the protocol to help the server
> detect "long enough" part, but that somehow does not feel right.
> 

We should be able to detect either inconsistency, or lack of forward 
progress, but as long as there is forward progress made there doesn't 
seem to be a strong need to terminate.

	-hpa