Subject: Peculiar behavior of git 1.5.6

From: Larry Finger <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 Sep 2008 00:43:55 -0500

On one of my systems, I found strange behavior for git-1.5.6.GIT. On 
the first pull of the linux-2.6 tree, I got a message that one file 
was not uptodate. When I investigated any possible differences with 
git-diff, there were none. A subsequent git-pull worked fine. I lost 
the console output for linux-2.6, but the same thing happened for 
Linville's wireless-testing, as shown below:

finger@sonylap:~/wireless-testing> git --version
git version 1.5.6.GIT
finger@sonylap:~/wireless-testing> git pull
error: Entry 'drivers/bluetooth/bt3c_cs.c' not uptodate. Cannot merge.
fatal: merging of trees 294e21019bac11cb782e8d1893d02ce98ed816a4 and 
810d24221c9c532475af90d1b7ba9ca381dc3696 failed
Merge with strategy recursive failed.
finger@sonylap:~/wireless-testing> git diff > tmp
finger@sonylap:~/wireless-testing> cat tmp
finger@sonylap:~/wireless-testing> git pull
Removed Documentation/usb/auerswald.txt
Auto-merged MAINTAINERS
...

Is this a bug in git, an incompatibility between my version and that 
of the server at kernel.org, or something else?

Thanks,

Larry