Subject: Re: [GSoC] Git projects for Google Summer of Code 2008 final evaluation

From: Joshua Roys <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 Sep 2008 18:22:45 -0400

Jakub Narebski wrote:
> 
> So students and mentors, please write what do you think current status 
> of project is: is it done, is it ready, is it perhaps already merged 
> in, or can be merged in at any time.  Please write also what wasn't 
> done, or what should be done different way (hindsight and all that).
> 
> Students, could you please tell us if you plan to work on git further, 
> and in what range (how much time can you get to work on git). What do 
> you think about git development community? What have you learned from 
> participating in GSoC?
> 
> 1. GitTorrent
>  
> Student: Joshua Roys
> Mentor: Sam Vilain
> 

Hello all,

VCS::Git::Torrent can only transfer data under limited circumstances at 
the moment, and doesn't do peering.  Part of that is actually due to 
work done after the deadline, unfortunately for me :-)  Anyway, I am 
definitely interested in continuing to work on git (and GitTorrent) as 
it is the VCS I use personally.  It is, however, the start of the 
semester here and I am currently focusing on that and job searching as 
this is my last semester.

I had a really good experience working with the git community over the 
past few months.  It was really cool to see very talented people working 
together.  It was a little intimidating too.  Another thing I learned 
about was the 'O' in OSS, or being 'Open' about development.  This is a 
completely different paradigm for me, as all of my previous experience 
is personal development or 'corporate' development (things done at 
work), neither of which required telling anybody about anything until 
completion.  Regular status updates that were requested during the 
second half made that much more clear and, in fact, facilitated my 
understanding in this area.

So, thank you all again, and I hope to continue to work with you in the 
future.

Joshua Roys