Subject: Re: pack operation is thrashing my server

From: Andreas Ericsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 07 Sep 2008 10:18:44 +0200

Linus Torvalds wrote:
> 
> Take a look at that web page you quote, and then sort things by 
> decompression speed. THAT is the issue. 
> 
> And no, LZO isn't even on that list. I haven't tested it, but looking at 
> the code, I do think LZO can be fast exactly because it seems to be 
> byte-based rather than bit-based, so I'd not be surprised if the claims 
> for its uncompression speed are true.
> 

Some lzo vs zlib benchmark figures (for git) are available here:
http://www.gelato.unsw.edu.au/archives/git/0504/1700.html

LZO also ships their "minilzo.[ch]" fileset for easy inclusion in other
projects. I've used it a couple of times with decent results.

As for testing, both have been thoroughly vetted by NASA. LZO is used for
communication with satellites and that spacestation thing they had some
time ago, while zlib is being used for sending data back from Hubble and
other large data gatherers.

-- 
Andreas Ericsson                   [email-masked]
OP5 AB                             www.op5.se
Tel: +46 8-230225                  Fax: +46 8-230231