Subject: Re: [GSoC] Git projects for Google Summer of Code 2008 final evaluation

From: Marek Zawirski <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 Sep 2008 19:46:21 +0200

Regarding...
> 4. Eclipse plugin push support
>
> Student: Marek Zawirski
> Mentor: Shawn O. Pearce

Jakub Narebski wrote:
> So students and mentors, please write what do you think current status 
> of project is: is it done, is it ready, is it perhaps already merged 
> in, or can be merged in at any time.  Please write also what wasn't 
> done, or what should be done different way (hindsight and all that).

Project is done, it's merged to master of egit, as Shawn pointed. I also
consider it successful, for sake of my experience too!

I was hoping to do some optional task after push GUI (2nd part of GSoC),
but instead I was designing/polishing the new GUI and existing clone
wizard. Created code was also base for later added (after GSoC) fetch GUI.

The downside is that there was not enough time for even starting stuff
like binary delta (re)implementation. This became huge task, as there
are serious libxdiff related license-issues. So it probably needs to be
implemented from scratch basing on existing research and pack file
format knowledge, but not the code.

> Students, could you please tell us if you plan to work on git further, 
> and in what range (how much time can you get to work on git). 

I enjoyed coding here, so I except to keep on working on egit. As you
may see (looking on my activity on the list) I'm pretty busy last time -
doing overdue exams, getting credits or having vacations (that's
especially hard labor...). So I won't work on egit next weeks for sure.
Later, I'm back to university again, so my activity may vary/be limited
during some periods. But I except to take some missing feature and work
on that in free time.

> What do you think about git development community?

Folks that I don't know how spend that much time on Git producing
portions of nice code...

Actually, I learned here what community in open source projects means.
Even if Git is not considered user-friendly, its community definitely is.

> What have you learned from participating in GSoC?

Among other things, I learned here using Git ;), doing development in
more open source way (e.g. where patches review/comments is natural
process), and somewhat doing development of product that is intended to
be highly reusable and effective.

(...)
> Thank you all very much for your work on Git projects on this Google 
> Summer of Code.

Thanks too!

-- 
Marek Zawirski [zawir]
[email-masked]