Subject: Re: [RFC] origin link for cherry-pick and revert

From: Sam Vilain <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2008 11:28:36 +1200

Jakub Narebski wrote:
>> And that dotted line really does sound like something you could do with 
>> just the existing "hyperlink" functionality in the commit message.
> 
> As far as I understand (note: I'm neither for, nor against the proposal;
> although I think it has thin chance to be accepted, especially soon),
> it is for graphical history viewers, for git-cherry to make it more
> precise (to detect duplicated/cherry-picked changes better), and in
> the future possibly to help history-aware merge strategies. And probably
> help patch management interfaces.

Can I suggest,

 1. bury this origin link idea

 2. make git-cherry-pick have a similar option to '-x', but instead of
    recording the original commit ID, record the original *patch* ID,
    *if* there was a merge conflict for that cherry pick.

 3. tools can build indexes from patch ID => (commit IDs) to make this
    other form of history navigation fast.

Sam