Subject: Re: [PATCH 15/16] checkout: add new options to support narrow checkout

From: Johannes Sixt <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2008 18:32:40 +0200

Nguyen Thai Ngoc Duy schrieb:
> Well I've been asking about the name on this list long enough. I'm
> going with 'sparse checkout' as svn' sparse directories does not look
> too different from git's.

FWIW, /me likes 'sparse checkout'.

> --path clears out all no-checkout bits and set again based on the
> given spec. --add-path adds more checkout entries based on the given
> spec, think of widening checkout area. --remove-path does narrow the
> checkout area. They are like '=', '+=' and '-=' operators
> respectively.

The still un-answered question was: In a full checkout, i.e. in a
repository where the narrow/sparse checkout feature has never been used so
far, is

   $ git checkout --add-path=foo

a no-op, or is it equivalent to

   $ git checkout --path=foo

Or stated differently: In the sequence

   $ git checkout --full
   $ git checkout --add-path=foo

is the second statement redundant?

-- Hannes