Subject: Re: [PATCH (GIT-GUI,GITK) 6/8] gitk: Port new encoding logic from git-gui.

From: Johannes Sixt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2008 14:10:16 +0200

Alexander Gavrilov schrieb:
> Add functions that implement the same logic for file
> contents encoding as git-gui uses:
> 
> - Defaults to the system encoding.
> - Overridden by setting the gui.encoding option.
> - Further overridden on per-file basis by gitattributes.
> 
> Also extends the range of supported encoding names.

If I run

  $ LANG=C gitk 146ed90

with this series on the git-gui repository, then I hoped to see the text
in the patches in the right encoding. But I understand that I expected too
much - the patch text is just a stream of bytes that comes from different
files, and the best you can do is to apply the system encoding.

But if the view is switched to the tree view, and file contents are
inspected, then this patch should help. But it doesn't. If you look at
po/ja.po, it is appearent that the file was not read as UTF-8, which is
dictated by .gitattributes.

-- Hannes