Subject: Re: git-describe doesn't show the most recent tag

From: Andreas Ericsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2008 16:51:31 +0200

Erez Zilber wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 28, 2008 at 4:55 PM, Pierre Habouzit <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> On Sun, Sep 28, 2008 at 01:48:42PM +0000, Erez Zilber wrote:
>>> Why is this happening?
>>       --tags
>>           Instead of using only the annotated tags, use any tag found in
>>           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>>           .git/refs/tags.
>>
> 
> I'm not sure that I understand the difference between tags and annotated tags.
> 

An annotated tag is one created with "git tag -a" or "git tag -s".
Other tags are considered "lightweight". They are supported for
creating immutable quick-and-dirty savepoints for private use,
while published tags are supposed to be annotated to give them
some extra weight.

You can use lightweight tags like normal tags (ie, and publish
them), but then some assumptions in git will not be correct and
you need to tell it so.

Btw, the default update hook prevents lightweight (unannotated)
tags from entering a repository you're pushing to, so this
assumption is not something that's unique to just "describe".

-- 
Andreas Ericsson                   [email-masked]
OP5 AB                             www.op5.se
Tel: +46 8-230225                  Fax: +46 8-230231