Subject: Re: [FYI][PATCH] Execute testsuite on existing Git installation

From: Rogan Dawes <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 03 Oct 2008 16:50:51 +0200

Petr Baudis wrote:
> When I joined here, one of the first tasks I had was to "verify if the
> existing system-wide Git installation works fine on the local Linux
> setup (of unknown qualities)". I couldn't think of anything better than
> to run the Git testsuite, but using the system-wide Git instead of
> locally compiled one.
> 
> This extremely dirty patch achieves this; patch testsuite of Git version
> corresponding to the system-wide installation, of course. You will still
> need to make the test helpers.
> 
> I don't have any real interest on developing this further or tidying it
> up, but I have thought that someone might find this useful to just use
> or push forward, so here it goes.
> 
> Signed-off-by: Petr Baudis <[email-masked]>
> 

Perhaps a stupid question, but might it not be easier to add the git 
build dir to the front of the PATH, and then remove the explicit paths?

I realise that if the build was unsuccessful, you may end up executing a 
different version of git than you expect, though.

Rogan