Subject: Re: [FYI][PATCH] Execute testsuite on existing Git installation

From: Rogan Dawes <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 03 Oct 2008 17:59:49 +0200

Rogan Dawes wrote:
> Petr Baudis wrote:
>> When I joined here, one of the first tasks I had was to "verify if the
>> existing system-wide Git installation works fine on the local Linux
>> setup (of unknown qualities)". I couldn't think of anything better than
>> to run the Git testsuite, but using the system-wide Git instead of
>> locally compiled one.
>>
>> This extremely dirty patch achieves this; patch testsuite of Git version
>> corresponding to the system-wide installation, of course. You will still
>> need to make the test helpers.
>>
>> I don't have any real interest on developing this further or tidying it
>> up, but I have thought that someone might find this useful to just use
>> or push forward, so here it goes.
>>
>> Signed-off-by: Petr Baudis <[email-masked]>
>>
> 
> Perhaps a stupid question, but might it not be easier to add the git 
> build dir to the front of the PATH, and then remove the explicit paths?
> 
> I realise that if the build was unsuccessful, you may end up executing a 
> different version of git than you expect, though.
> 
> Rogan
> 

Or, make a "BUILD_DIR" variable, and replace ../git with ${BUILD_DIR}git 
throughout, and make BUILD_DIR == '../' for the normal case, and '' for 
the less common case of testing the existing installation.

Or, make ../git a symlink to the installed git binary. This is probably 
the simplest, in fact, requiring the least surgery - i.e. none for those 
who don't need this functionality.

Rogan