Subject: Re: [PATCH 0/4] diff text conversion filter

From: Johannes Sixt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 06 Oct 2008 08:29:10 +0200

Jeff King schrieb:
> On Tue, Sep 30, 2008 at 12:45:45PM -0400, Jeff King wrote:
> 
>> I am about 90% done cleaning it up for preparation (there is a bit of
>> refactoring, and I want to make sure I get that just right). I'll post
>> it in the next day or so.
> 
> Sorry, I didn't get a chance to look at this until today. Patch series
> will follow. It is still missing documentation updates and tests, but I
> wanted to get you something to look at (and as I am proposing a new
> meaning for "diff driver", I would be curious to hear the general
> comments).
> 
> This is on top of 'next', because it would otherwise conflict with the
> funcname pattern changes there.

Does the series in any way change whether plumbing and porcelain invoke
the external diff drivers? I have this particular use-case, which I'd like
that still works:

- In .git/info/attributes I have specified a diff driver:

    *.doc   diff=docdiff

  The driver runs a script that literally loads the two version of the
  file into MS Word and uses Word's diffing capability.

- git-gui should not use the diff driver. That is, plumbing should bypass
  the diff driver and say "Binary files differ". [*]

- Running 'git diff foo.doc', i.e. porcelain, from a command line should
  use the diff driver.

[*] I would not mind seeing a simplified textual diff in git-gui.

-- Hannes