Subject: Re: [PATCH 0/4] diff text conversion filter

From: Johannes Sixt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 07 Oct 2008 07:52:02 +0200

Jeff King schrieb:
> On Mon, Oct 06, 2008 at 05:15:22PM +0200, Matthieu Moy wrote:
> 
>> Actually, I understand you don't want git gui and gitk to load MS-Word
>> anytime you click something, but I'd love to see the textconv+diff in
>> gitk.
>>
>> (yeah, that's pretty hard to specify right, the ideal requirement
>> seems to be "in a gui, use the good part of the diff driver, but not
>> the other" :-\).
> 
> I think it is even more complex than that. Sometimes when doing "git
> show" I want to see the textconv'd version, and sometimes I don't. So I
> really want a command-line flag or environment variable that I can use
> to control it (with a sane default).

How about this: If I run 'git show -- foo.doc' (foo.doc resolves to a
single path, obviously), I want MS Word, but for other uses of 'git show'
I don't. I think that heuristics could be very effective: With a plain
'git show' I get the overview of the change, and with 'git show --
foo.doc' I drill down into a single document.

Or this: 'git show -p' uses the textconv'd version, 'git show' does not
("Binary files differ").

BTW, also with 'git diff' I sometimes don't want MS Word to pop up...

-- Hannes