Subject: Re: files missing after converting a cvs repository to git

From: Andreas Ericsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 Oct 2008 08:16:56 +0200

Adam Mercer wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 7, 2008 at 01:08, Andreas Ericsson <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
>> Has the CVS repo been tampered with in the past? If so, it's entirely
>> possible that checking out and working with CVS works just fine, but
>> getting history into coherent changesets is impossible.
> 
> Unfortunately yes. Thats what I thought, and was afraid, was going on.
> I've managed to get things working by restoring some of the missing
> files ,v files from a backup and regenerating the tracking
> repositories. Then I had to remove the files in question from cvs and
> readd them, git cvsimport then saw these files.
> 

Ouch. In that case, all bets are off when it comes to correctly cloning
the history, I'm afraid. On the up-side, if you get a oneshot conversion
done properly you can easily convert it to something else later in case
git doesn't meet your needs, and it might even be easier to add commit
support to "git cvsserver" than it is to fix your broken repository
(it might be in there already; I don't use it so I don't know), in
which case you can use CVS with a git object store.

-- 
Andreas Ericsson                   [email-masked]
OP5 AB                             www.op5.se
Tel: +46 8-230225                  Fax: +46 8-230231