Subject: Re: Different svn-id URLs in history

From: Knut Eldhuset <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 Oct 2008 08:34:23 +0200

Michael J Gruber wrote:
> Knut Eldhuset venit, vidit, dixit 07.10.2008 12:58:
>> Hi,
>>
>> After cloning my svn repository, I notice that the svn-id URL is 
>> different when going back in history:
>>
>> git-svn-id: https://server/trunk@300
>>
>> vs
>>
>> git-svn-id: https://server/trunk/some_folder/project/src@250
>>
> 
> I take this is as an invitation for guesswork (given the amount of
> details)...

Sorry about that... I'm confused.
> 
> You probably have commits which don't follow your usual svn repo layout
> (trunk/some_folder/project/src) but commit to trunk/ directly. The output of
> 
> svn log -v -r300 https://server/trunk@300
> svn log -v -r250 https://server/trunk/some_folder/project/src@250
> 
> should give some clues.
> 

Svn log shows that the same path has been modified in both cases. I see 
something strange in git, though. Our svn repository has about 6500 
commits, but git shows over 10.000. Further investigation shows that a 
lot of svn commits have two entries in git. Some branches off of trunk 
do not start at r1, but off of a duplicate rNNNN. Could this be due to 
our unhealthy practice of creating branches off of subtrees in svn? By 
this I mean create a branch off of 
https://server/trunk/some_folder/project/src instead of 
https://server/trunk. If so, what can be done to fix this?

As a sidenote, during git svn clone, I noticed that each time a new 
branch or tag was discovered, the "scanning" started back at r1. Is this 
normal? I would think the history before the branch was already 
imported. Of course, this could maybe be due to the bad branching 
practice described above.

Regards,
Knut