Subject: Re: Git newbie question: permissions

From: Samuel Lucas Vaz de Mello <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 09 Oct 2008 18:05:54 -0300

Ed Schofield wrote:
> I don't think I specified "--shared=group" when initializing the
> repository. Afterwards I manually set all files to have 660
> permissions, dirs as 770, and set the group ownership to "webdev", but
> I probably made a mistake by not setting the setgid bit on
> directories. Now there are some objects directories with 755
> permissions and different group ownership (the default groups of the
> other users).
>   
Hi Ed!

I'm also a newbie here and I have a very similar setup to yours.

The only difference is that my repository was created using 
git-cvsimport and afterwards I used git-config to set 
core.sharedrepository=1 and manually set up the permissions.

I also got objects created with the users' default group, but for now I 
just changed the deafault group for those users until I find a better 
solution.

Another issue with this setup: if I run git-gc in the shared repo, it 
recreate the files in logs/refs/heads with 644 permissions, which 
prevents users to push until I manually fix the permissions.

Someone else have faced these kind of problems?

Regards,

 - Samuel