Subject: Re: Working with remotes; cloning remote references

From: Marc Branchaud <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2008 18:09:48 -0400

Peter Harris wrote:
> 
> Ah. I believe I misunderstood what you wanted. Perhaps you want "git
> remote add", then? Unfortunately, you have to know what your remotes
> are outside of git for this. Perhaps a script in the root of your
> repository you can run to set this up after the initial clone?

I think we're converging onto the same track.

Yes, I do want to use "git remote add".  My point is basically that, 
having done various git-remote-adds in the main repository, I'd like to 
avoid having to redo them in a clone of that repository.

A script would work, sure, but to me this seems like something git 
should handle for me.  If I have to re-establish my connections to the 
remotes whenever I want to pull in updates, then I don't see much point 
in keeping the remotes defined in any git repo.

> I seem to recall some discussion of allowing a .gitconfig to be in
> repositories (similar to .gitignore), but the idea was shot down for
> security reasons.

I think I can understand why that would be undesirable, but I don't know 
if something like that would be necessary for what I'm talking about.

		Marc