Subject: Re: Git and tagging hook

From: Andreas Ericsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2008 09:04:52 +0200

Jan Hudec wrote:
> As for people replacing their local commits, this is common especially in
> Linux (and Git) development model.

It's common everywhere where projects use peer review.

Results 1 - 50 of about 14,600 for '"PATCH v2" vger.kernel.org'
Results 1 - 50 of about 360,000 for "PATCH v2"

So yes, it is a very common practice and anything interacting with a remote
database based on each commit action will almost certainly be doing something
wrong quite a lot of the time, especially since not all the patch-series end
up being incorporated into a release anyway.

The only sane integration point is the public watering-hole repository used
for the project, and especially the release branch (or the "for-linus" branches
around the world for sub-projects).

-- 
Andreas Ericsson                   [email-masked]
OP5 AB                             www.op5.se
Tel: +46 8-230225                  Fax: +46 8-230231