Subject: Re: Working with remotes; cloning remote references

From: Michael J Gruber <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2008 09:33:36 +0200

Marc Branchaud venit, vidit, dixit 17.10.2008 00:09:
> Peter Harris wrote:
>> Ah. I believe I misunderstood what you wanted. Perhaps you want "git
>> remote add", then? Unfortunately, you have to know what your remotes
>> are outside of git for this. Perhaps a script in the root of your
>> repository you can run to set this up after the initial clone?
> 
> I think we're converging onto the same track.
> 
> Yes, I do want to use "git remote add".  My point is basically that, 
> having done various git-remote-adds in the main repository, I'd like to 
> avoid having to redo them in a clone of that repository.
> 
> A script would work, sure, but to me this seems like something git 
> should handle for me.  If I have to re-establish my connections to the 
> remotes whenever I want to pull in updates, then I don't see much point 
> in keeping the remotes defined in any git repo.
> 
>> I seem to recall some discussion of allowing a .gitconfig to be in
>> repositories (similar to .gitignore), but the idea was shot down for
>> security reasons.
> 
> I think I can understand why that would be undesirable, but I don't know 
> if something like that would be necessary for what I'm talking about.

I don't think there is a direct gittish way for transferring the remote
config from one repo to a clone (other than copying what git submodule
does with .gitmodules etc.).

Would it be sufficient for you if a clone could trigger the main repo to
update its remotes (i.e. git remote update)?

Michael