Subject: Re: Archiving tags/branches?

From: Pete Harlan <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2008 23:36:10 -0700

Johan Herland wrote:
> BTW, the best way IMHO to archive old refs is to clone your repo (with all 
> tags/branches) to a backup disk, and then regularly push (git push --all && 
> git push --tags) your new tags/branches to this backup. You are now free to 
> delete these tags/branches from your work repo (they will not be deleted 
> from the backup unless you use "git push --mirror"). And if you ever need 
> to retrieve an old tag/branch, it's just a matter of pulling it from the 
> backup repo. Nice, clean, flexible, and requires no changes to git.
> 
> 
> Have fun! :)
> 
> ...Johan

Hi,

Thank you; that indeed seems to work and solves the problem of managing
refs/archived-tags manually.

Using a secondary repo solely to overcome a flat tag/branch namespace
feels hackish.  Perhaps git will benefit someday from work in this area,
but until I come up with a patch your suggestion should work fine.  Just
knowing I didn't overlook an existing feature helps a lot.

--Pete