Subject: Re: Feedback outside of the user survey

From: Christian Jaeger <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2008 09:24:12 +0200

Junio C Hamano wrote:
> Christian Jaeger <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>   
>>> That's partially implemented, I think (google for Nguy (or something, I'm
>>> not very god with asian names),
>>>       
>> That's not enough information for me to find what you've had in
>> mind. "stump Nguy site:marc.info" doesn't yield a result with Google.
>>     
>
> I think Andreas is referring to nd/narrow topic currently parked in 'pu'.
>
> $ git log next..36aa66d^2

Thanks. This looks nice.

(It is implementing the partial, or "sparse" as Nguyễn calls it, 
checkouts. So it seems the more useful of the two ideas is basically 
already done, at least in the sense of saving space for the checkout. It 
won't 'move'/'mount' the subdirectory to the top of the working 
directory if only a subdirectory is wanted, but as I've already realized 
and written, Git may require a full working directory anyway for 
interaction with the user during merging, and a symlink can be used 
instead to 'mount' the subdirectory where the user wants it (if the OS 
supports that). Straightforward solution.)

Christian.