Subject: error: packfile while git fsck

From: Nicolas Ferre <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2008 16:06:55 +0200

Hi all,
(please cc me on response)

I am facing error during git status & git fsck on my tree.
This tree is cloned from various linux kernel trees.

Here are a sample of the error I see :

$ git fsck
error: packfile .git/objects/pack/pack-2ab31ad1f8cb69d091a56fe936634e4796606d49.pack does not match index
error: packfile .git/objects/pack/pack-2ab31ad1f8cb69d091a56fe936634e4796606d49.pack cannot be accessed
error: packfile .git/objects/pack/pack-2ab31ad1f8cb69d091a56fe936634e4796606d49.pack does not match index
error: packfile .git/objects/pack/pack-2ab31ad1f8cb69d091a56fe936634e4796606d49.pack cannot be accessed
error: packfile .git/objects/pack/pack-2ab31ad1f8cb69d091a56fe936634e4796606d49.pack does not match index
[..]
error: packfile .git/objects/pack/pack-2ab31ad1f8cb69d091a56fe936634e4796606d49.pack cannot be accessed
dangling blob fe130d58453393f15e0db82bca18f35998689a87
dangling commit 2515ddc6db8eb49a79f0fe5e67ff09ac7c81eab4
error: packfile .git/objects/pack/pack-2ab31ad1f8cb69d091a56fe936634e4796606d49.pack does not match index
error: packfile .git/objects/pack/pack-2ab31ad1f8cb69d091a56fe936634e4796606d49.pack cannot be accessed
error: packfile .git/objects/pack/pack-2ab31ad1f8cb69d091a56fe936634e4796606d49.pack does not match index
error: packfile .git/objects/pack/pack-2ab31ad1f8cb69d091a56fe936634e4796606d49.pack cannot be accessed
error: packfile .git/objects/pack/pack-2ab31ad1f8cb69d091a56fe936634e4796606d49.pack does not match index
error: packfile .git/objects/pack/pack-2ab31ad1f8cb69d091a56fe936634e4796606d49.pack cannot be accessed
dangling commit 6bb7a935489dab20802dde6c2cb7d8582f4849bf
error: packfile .git/objects/pack/pack-2ab31ad1f8cb69d091a56fe936634e4796606d49.pack does not match index
error: packfile .git/objects/pack/pack-2ab31ad1f8cb69d091a56fe936634e4796606d49.pack cannot be accessed
dangling commit 4aba41ea8bdc1b475861f5e5c1649ab20251090c
error: packfile .git/objects/pack/pack-2ab31ad1f8cb69d091a56fe936634e4796606d49.pack does not match index
error: packfile .git/objects/pack/pack-2ab31ad1f8cb69d091a56fe936634e4796606d49.pack cannot be accessed
[..]
$  git verify-pack .git/objects/pack/pack-2ab31ad1f8cb69d091a56fe936634e4796606d49.pack
pack-2ab31ad1f8cb69d091a56fe936634e4796606d49.pack
nferre@bendor:linux-2.6-arm > git verify-pack .git/objects/pack/pack-2ab31ad1f8cb69d091a56fe936634e4796606d49.pack
error: packfile .git/objects/pack/pack-2ab31ad1f8cb69d091a56fe936634e4796606d49.pack does not match index
fatal: packfile .git/objects/pack/pack-2ab31ad1f8cb69d091a56fe936634e4796606d49.pack cannot be accessed

What can I do to recover my git archive ?

Did I do something wrong (merging files while fetching) ?

Is it related to a known issue (I cannot figure out if it is 
after some googling) ?

Thanks for your help. Regards,
-- 
Nicolas Ferre