Subject: Re: Start git svn clone at specific revision for cloning subprojects in large svn repositories?

From: Michael J Gruber <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2008 17:08:43 +0200

Jeff Kowalczyk venit, vidit, dixit 10/22/08 17:00:
> I would like to git svn clone subprojects from a large community
> subversion repository (plone collective).
> 
> The repository is currently at 74K commits, but subprojects of interest
> are typically much more recent, and their initial import revision is known.
> 
> I would like to avoid a) unnecessary traffic to the svn server and b)
> the very long delay in git svn cloning these subprojects.
> 
> Is there a way to specfiy a starting revision to git svn clone?

Your friendly man page provider says:

       -r <ARG>, --revision <ARG>
           Used with the fetch command.

           This allows revision ranges for partial/cauterized history to
be supported. $NUMBER, $NUMBER1:$NUMBER2 (numeric
           ranges), $NUMBER:HEAD, and BASE:$NUMBER are all supported.

           This can allow you to make partial mirrors when running
fetch; but is generally not recommended because history
           will be skipped and lost.

Usage of "Scroll Down" is strongly advised when viewing git help svn ;)

Michael

P.S.: It works nicely, don't mind the warning in the man page if you
know the start rev for sure.