Subject: Re: Tip: avoiding net overhead using git over sshfs

From: Johannes Sixt <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2008 14:54:16 +0200

Felipe Carvalho Oliveira schrieb:
> On Thu, Oct 23, 2008 at 7:00 AM, Matthieu Moy <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> I think you'd better work locally, and push to the sshfs directory
>> from time to time. Then, you'd both have working tree and .git locally
>> and fast, while keeping the safety of replicating to your ssh server.
> 
> I can't use git-push as I explained before.
> I use git as a deployment tool in this case.
> I work locallly and use git-pull to sync my local repo and the
> "production"(server).
> Git works better than a manual (S)FTP sync.

Then how about this: You keep your repository local, and you also hack
locally. When it's time to push your changes to the production server, you
do this:

  $ GIT_INDEX_FILE=.git/index.published \
    GIT_WORK_TREE=/sshfs-mount/on/production/server \
    git reset --hard

This will update only files that changed since you did this the last time.

Disclaimer: I didn't try this myself.

-- Hannes