Subject: Re: [RFC] Zit: the git-based single file content tracker

From: Jean-Luc Herren <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2008 01:23:38 +0200

Hi!

Giuseppe Bilotta wrote:
> So today I decided to start hacking at a git-based but file-oriented
> content tracker, which I decided to name Zit.

This sounds great and would seem very useful to manage my ~/bin/
directory which contains a set of unrelated one-file-tools that
evolve over time.  I haven't played with it yet though.

> when you choose to start tracking a file with Zit [...]
> Zit will create a directory .zit.file to hold a git repository

If you have many files you want to track in a single directory
(like ~/bin/), all those additional directories will quickly feel
like clutter.  If you track every file, it will even double the
number of things you see with an "ls -a".

If you decide against a shared repository, maybe you want to
consider to not use ".zit.file/", but ".zit/file/" as the
repository?  This would reduce the clutter to a single directory,
just like with ".git".  And moving files around wouldn't be that
much complicated.

jlh