Subject: Re: [MonoDevelop] git integration with monodevelop

From: Andreas Ericsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2008 12:01:34 +0100

Christian Hergert wrote:
> By unmanaged, he means the [DllImport] which you would need to do the call
> to the extern in the shared library.
> 
> Everyone that has chimed in has considered doing the git code before,
> believe us when we say we've thought about wrapping C.  In this case, it
> will be far more flexible in C#.  Especially since tools like silverlight do
> not allow DllImport's.
> 

Well, browser plugins may have a fun time with git support, but it's so far
from my priority list I couldn't even poke it with a really long pole. The
fastest way forward is probably to hack on libgit2 and use C# micro-apps
to verify continually that the binding layer works properly, so that's what
I'll be doing. I should also state that while C# seems fun and all, my top
priority is to make the git library usable as quickly as possible so that
it can attract more attention from developers. That's why I think it's so
vitally important to get some few usable steps working fast (such as diffing
against the index, staging stuff for commit and creating a commit).

Once we have that much, basic IDE integration should be fairly easy, and
then people will want to do more so interest (hopefully from developers)
is likely to increase.

-- 
Andreas Ericsson                   [email-masked]
OP5 AB                             www.op5.se
Tel: +46 8-230225                  Fax: +46 8-230231