Subject: Re: [PATCH 0/4] repo: add support for path-related fields

From: Lucas Seiki Oshiro <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 1 Mar 2026 16:40:09 -0300

> Hi Lucas

Hi, Phillip!

> How does this effort relate to similar effort at at
> https://lore.kernel.org/[email-masked] ?

I have this patch series started since July, but I could only
send this after having my two previous changes in git-repo-info
accepted.

I think that patch series you mentioned is based on some
previous message (or the GSoC project ideas) where I listed
what was still need to be implemented. It uses a similar
--path-format flag, but without dealing with the multiple
possibilities currently used by git-rev-parse (see [1]).

The original print_path from git-rev-parse has four possible
default formats (relative, relative if there's a shared root,
canonical (absolute), and unmodified), and we can force it
to use the relative or absolute formats. If I understood it
correctly, this complex logic was added ([1]) to allow the
user to force one of these two formats without breaking the
default behavior. Since git-repo-info is a new command, we are
free from being compatible with that, and perhaps this doesn't
make sense.

Since there are many people interested in contributing to
git-repo-info, especially in the path-* fields, I just wanted
to finish what I have here and leave the rest for them :-)

>> 1. Add --path-format, just like we have in git-rev-parse
> 
> I think that's the best solution. Having different defaults
> for different paths like rev-parse is confusing and having
> different keys for absolute and relative versions of the
> same path gets rather verbose.

I agree, but I still think that it feels weird that we won't
be able return absolute and relative paths in a single
git-repo-info call. But it also won't cost too much to call
it twice.

> Thanks

Thanks, Phillip!
Phillip

PS: I'm also CC'ing:

- Eslam (the author of the patch mentioned by Phillip)
- Karthik, Justin, Ayush, and Siddhart (possible mentors for
  "Improve the new git repo command")
- Patrick, who was my GSoC mentor and the person I first
  discussed with about --path-format

[1] fac60b8925 (rev-parse: add option for absolute or relative path formatting, 2020-12-13)