Subject: Re: hosting git on a nfs

From: Michael J Gruber <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2008 14:01:27 +0100

Linus Torvalds venit, vidit, dixit 14.11.2008 02:15:
> 
> On Thu, 13 Nov 2008, Linus Torvalds wrote:
>> I'll clean it up a bit and make a less hacky version. And I'll try to make 
>> it work for "git status" and friends too.
> 
> Ok, this is a no-longer-totally-hacky thing, which also adds support for 
> doing the same for "git status". I haven't actually done any timings, but 
> the preload algorithm is all the same. The interface is just a much more 
> natural one.
> 
> NOTE NOTE NOTE! It may not be totally hacky, but it's still not 
> "finished". There's a few more things to look at:

Doing nicely already. Over here, cold cache (i.e. sleep 70) "git status"
goes from 0.8s to around 0.4s. Nice. Hot cache goes from 0.18s to 0.23s.
This is really worthwhile if you hack for more than 60s between
diffs/stats ;)

This is already with the server doing some caching (first status was 8s
or so; hardly reproducible), which I can't control.

Michael