Subject: Re: know wget URL, need git-clone URL

From: Andreas Ericsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2008 10:00:22 +0100

[email-masked] wrote:
> I wish the git beginner documentation would tell one how to translate
> e.g., http://git.debian.org/?p=pkg-fso/files.git&a=blob_plain&f=install.sh
> which is good for wget, to the URL one needs for git-clone to get the
> same file.

You can't use "git clone" to get a single file. You can only get the
entire repository using "git clone". Usually, the clone-url is written
somewhere on the projects gitweb page, and that is also the case for
this repository.

If you visit http://git.debian.org/?p=pkg-fso/files.git;a=summary you'll
find this section on that page:

URL	git://git.debian.org/git/pkg-fso/files.git
	http://git.debian.org/git/pkg-fso/files.git

It's impossible to infer the clone url from the gitweb url, because there's
absolutely no connection between them (that will change if gitweb gains
fetch/clone support), and the paths/urls depends on the servers configuration
which we cannot know.

-- 
Andreas Ericsson                   [email-masked]
OP5 AB                             www.op5.se
Tel: +46 8-230225                  Fax: +46 8-230231