Subject: Re: SPEC files for Git

From: Michael J Gruber <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 01 Dec 2008 17:00:03 +0100

Nicolas Morey-Chaisemartin venit, vidit, dixit 01.12.2008 16:16:
> Hi,
> 
> I'm trying to recompile gitweb1.6.0.4-1 for RHEL5, but I'm missing the
> spec file.
> I've checked the git SRP. It generates a lot of things but no RPM for
> gitweb.

RHEL5 probably comes with git 1.5.something, and its spec file won't
work nicely with git 1.6.x (because of new install locations).

> Is there any place with an official spec file? Or has anyone made one
> which he could share?

git source comes with a spec file template. If you have a git checkout
(or source tree) then "make git.spec" will generate it.

It does not generate a gitweb subpackage, but you only need to add a few
lines, following the example of the archimport package, say.

Or, even simpler: Just take the srpm from Fedora 10 and rebuild (gitweb
is a subpackage of git in F10, so you need the git srpm (e.g.
'yumdownloader --source gitweb' on an F10 instance). Installing the srpm
(as non-root) gives you the spec, I'm sure you know ;)

Michael