Subject: Re: How to clone git repository with git-svn meta-data included?

From: Michael J Gruber <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 Dec 2008 14:10:26 +0100

Grzegorz Kossakowski venit, vidit, dixit 07.12.2008 23:02:
> Peter Harris pisze:
>> After the git clone, I do the following:
>> git svn init -s svn://repo/sitory
>> git svn rebase
>>
>> No data is transferred[1], although 'git svn rebase' does spend a
>> minute or so reading the commit messages to rebuild its index.
> 
> I've tried this method with Cocoon repository
> (http://jukka.zitting.name/git/?p=cocoon.git;a=summary) and got this error:
> 
> git clone git://jukka.zitting.name/cocoon.git
> git svn init -s https://svn.eu.apache.org/repos/asf/cocoon/
> git svn rebase
> Unable to determine upstream SVN information from working tree history
> 
> git --version
> git version 1.6.0.2

Could it be as simple as a missing "cd cocoon" between git clone and git
svn rebase? No, you probably did that.

But note that you did not follow Peter's instructions. The point is that
your clone creates "remotes/origin/trunk" whereas Peter's instructions
mirror the source, creating "remotes/trunk", which is what git svn needs
(unless you say "git svn init -s --prefix=origin/" or "git config
svn-remote.svn.fetch trunk:refs/trunk" etc.). The prefix solution should
be the best.

Michael

P.S.: Peter starts off a different layout (standard svn remotes, which
need special instructions to be cloned). Ordinary clone + git svn init
--prefix=origin/ should work fine for the cocoon layout.

P.P.S.: We can't test cocoon unless we have an account on the apache
server...