Subject: Re: getting started, happy with cmd line on windows [Scanned]

From: René Scharfe <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Dec 2008 17:39:21 +0100

Conor Rafferty schrieb:
> I then deleted all files from the working directory, so I can pull out
> ONLY the ones in version A.
> I tried both fetch and checkout - but nothing was copied into working
> dir How do I do this ?

git treats deleted files just like edited files: as having been changed
in preparation for the next commit.  You can get back all of the tracked
files using this command:

	$ git reset --hard

It undoes _all_ changes: tracked edited files will be reverted to their
in-repository state, deleted files created again.  You can also check
out individual files like this:

	$ git checkout ABC.txt

If you just want to get rid of untracked files, you'd use the command
"git clean".

In general, if you switch your work tree from one revision to another
(git checkout), git tries to minimize the I/O needed.  Files that are
the same in both aren't touched.

René