Subject: Re: [PATCH 3/3] pretty: support multiline subjects with format:

From: René Scharfe <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2008 01:12:43 +0100

Markus Heidelberg schrieb:
>> git log --pretty=format:%s (and tformat:) used to display the first
>> line of the subject, unlike the other --pretty options, which would
>> construct a subject line from all lines of the first paragraph of
>> the commit message.
> 
> And that can be very annoying when working on repositories with a
> history not formatted after the recommendations of git (empty line after
> the summary). Then the output of commands like
> "git log --pretty=oneline", "git format-patch" and "git show-branch"
> is unreadable.
> 
> Sorry, I haven't tested your patch set, what is the output of
> git-shortlog like now?

It's unchanged since it has it's own commit message parser.

>> For consistency and increased code reuse, change format: to do the
>> same as the other options.
> 
> What's wrong with using the first line instead of the first paragraph
> for the other pretty options and for cases where only a small subject
> line is desired? A sentence would be broken into a small uncomplete part
> for the subject for example. What else?

I'm inching towards the goal of being able to replicate all of the other
--pretty flavours with format: (or tformat:) strings.

--pretty=oneline used to print only the first line, but was changed to
the way it's now in 4234a761 more than a year ago.  In my mind,
"subject" is defined by "what oneline is printing", so I think changing
the format: placeholder %s to show the whole first paragraph is a bug fix.

If you actually like the old behaviour then perhaps a new placeholder
(%S ?) should be introduced instead?

René