Subject: Re: [PATCH] gitweb: recognize six digit abbreviated SHA1

From: Sam Vilain <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2009 15:00:55 +1300

Anders Melchiorsen wrote:
> Anders Melchiorsen <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>   
>> +	if ($line =~ m/([0-9a-fA-F]{7,40})/) {
>>     
>
> I could not make up my mind between the seven digits from "git
> rev-parse --short" and the six digits currently used by gitk.
>
> So I put one option in the patch, and the other one in the subject.
>   

I think if you're going to go so short as 6 digits, it's probably worth
making sure that the really short SHA1s check commits only. eg, if
you've got a commit 'fa023473' and a tree 'fa023421', then 'fa0234'
should match the commit and not the tree. But I don't think there's a
plumbing way to do a query like that at the moment.

Even git.git isn't unique over 6 digits, even restricting to commits.
Not since b0a3de ;-).

Sam