Subject: Re: How to pull remote branch with specified commit id?

From: Johannes Sixt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2009 10:43:16 +0100

Emily Ren schrieb:
> Git experts,
> 
> I want to pull remote branch with specified commit id, how to do it?
> 
> Below command can get remote branch
> $git pull remote refs/heads/$branch_name
> 
> Below command doesn't work
> $git pull remote objects/$commit_id

You can't, and that is so by design.

Consider this: You accidentally push a branch with confidential data to a
public repository. You notice it early, and quickly delete the branch
using 'git push the-repo :refs/heads/that-branch'. At this time the
objects with the confidential data are still lingering in the public
repository. But with the current behavior noone can access them even if
the SHA1 happens to be known.

-- Hannes