Subject: Re: [PATCH] Simplest update to bash completions to prevent unbounded variable errors

From: Ted Pavlic <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2009 10:30:56 -0500

>> Another try at fixing bash completions in "set -u" environments.
> I agree with Junio; setting -u in your interactive shell is as bad
> as export CDPATH.  Its crazy.

This whole series of patches was inspired by a group of workstations at 
a university that set -u by default for all users.

Additionally, doesn't "set -u" make tcsh users feel more at home in 
bash? Certainly other shells have this same behavior in their 
interactive modes.

>> Additionally added some comments and omitted things like Vim modelines.
>
> These are orthogonal to the -u corrections.  They should be in a
> different patch.  The comments are wecome.  The '#!bash' looks like
> a good idea.  But a vim specific modeline, I don't like, for the
> reasons Junio has already stated.

OK. Can do.

>> -	if [ -z "$1" ]; then
>> +	if [ $# -eq 0 ] || [ -z "$1" ]; then
>
> This is one of those places where [ -z "${1-}" ] is likely easier

That was a mistake. I missed that hunk. I meant to use the ${1-}.

>> +		if [ $# -gt 0 ]&&  [ -n "$1" ]; then
>
> Eh, I'd rather see [ -n "${1-}" ] over the&&  test.

Again, my mistake. It was late and I missed it.

>> +complete -o bashdefault -o default -o nospace -F _git git 2>/dev/null \
>> +	|| complete -o default -o nospace -F _git git
>> +complete -o bashdefault -o default -o nospace -F _gitk gitk 2>/dev/null \
>> +	|| complete -o default -o nospace -F _gitk gitk
>
> Why are we switching to bashdefault?  Is this an unrelated change
> from the -u stuff and should go into its own commit, with its own
> justification?

Ok.

 From what I understand, normal bash completion is like setting "-o 
bashdefault -o default". That is, it tries the bash completions first 
before going to the filename completion. This change makes it so that 
git jumps back to bash completion if nothing git-specific is found. If 
nothing bash-specific is found, it will go back to standard default 
filename completion.

--Ted

-- 
Ted Pavlic <[email-masked]>

   Please visit my ALS association page:
         http://web.alsa.org/goto/tedpavlic
   My family appreciates your support in the fight to defeat ALS.