Subject: Re: how to track multiple upstreams in one repository

From: A Large Angry SCM <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2009 21:18:31 -0500

[email-masked] wrote:
> for linux I want to track both the linus tree and the -stable tree. 
> Ideally I want to be able to do a checkout of tags from either tree from 
> the same directory (along with diffs between items in both trees, etc)
> 
> I have found documentation on how to clone from each of them, but I 
> haven't found any simple documentation on how to work with both of them.

Attached are what I use. It's not pretty but it's works for me; YMMV.
export GIT_COMMITTER_NAME="@"
export GIT_AUTHOR_NAME="@"

./fred.sh git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/git/git.git git/git

./fred.sh git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/gitk/gitk.git gitk/gitk

./fred.sh git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/sparse.git torvalds/sparse

./fred.sh git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git torvalds/linux-2.6

./fred.sh git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/stable/linux-2.6.11.y.git stable/linux-2.6.11.y
./fred.sh git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/stable/linux-2.6.12.y.git stable/linux-2.6.12.y
./fred.sh git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/stable/linux-2.6.13.y.git stable/linux-2.6.13.y
./fred.sh git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/stable/linux-2.6.14.y.git stable/linux-2.6.14.y
./fred.sh git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/stable/linux-2.6.15.y.git stable/linux-2.6.15.y
./fred.sh git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/stable/linux-2.6.16.y.git stable/linux-2.6.16.y
./fred.sh git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/stable/linux-2.6.17.y.git stable/linux-2.6.17.y
./fred.sh git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/stable/linux-2.6.18.y.git stable/linux-2.6.18.y
./fred.sh git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/stable/linux-2.6.19.y.git stable/linux-2.6.19.y
./fred.sh git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/stable/linux-2.6.20.y.git stable/linux-2.6.20.y
./fred.sh git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/stable/linux-2.6.21.y.git stable/linux-2.6.21.y
./fred.sh git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/stable/linux-2.6.22.y.git stable/linux-2.6.22.y
./fred.sh git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/stable/linux-2.6.23.y.git stable/linux-2.6.23.y
./fred.sh git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/stable/linux-2.6.24.y.git stable/linux-2.6.24.y
./fred.sh git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/stable/linux-2.6.25.y.git stable/linux-2.6.25.y
./fred.sh git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/stable/linux-2.6.26.y.git stable/linux-2.6.26.y
./fred.sh git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/stable/linux-2.6.27.y.git stable/linux-2.6.27.y
./fred.sh git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/stable/linux-2.6.28.y.git stable/linux-2.6.28.y

./fred.sh git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/tglx/history.git tglx/history