Subject: Re: how to git a read only directory

From: Boaz Harrosh <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2009 14:34:19 +0200

bill lam wrote:
> I want to use git to keep track of files inside /etc but do not want
> to do it as a super user. Is that possible to put GIT_DIR under my
> home directory and add public-read files inside /etc? Or that it could
> be done in some other ways.
> 
> Thanks.
> 
I did the really easy hack (on my /etc BTW) and it worked fine for me.

I created a master project folder under ~home, init a new git repo,
then symlink /etc/ onto an etc/ in the project dir, added all etc/
files. I like the extra a/etc/fstab in the patch files better then
a/fstab.

And it is a life saver, payed it's effortless in gold. Some shining
new distro should come up with a git based management system
and it will leave all the other distros in the dust.

Cheers
Boaz