Subject: Something weird is happening...

From: "H. Peter Anvin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2009 22:24:36 -0800

I was investigating a problem that Ingo Molnar reported on the
linux-2.6-tip.git repository on kernel.org.  Unfortunately I was not
able to reproduce his problem (which is a problem in itself) but I did
run into another oddity:

: hera 4 ; git fsck

[lots of dangling commits deleted]
missing blob af0e01d4c663a101f48614e40d006ed6272d5c36

: hera 5 ; git cat-file blob af0e01d4c663a101f48614e40d006ed6272d5c36
/*
 *  debugfs.h - a tiny little debug file system
 *
 *  Copyright (C) 2004 Greg Kroah-Hartman <[email-masked]>
 *  Copyright (C) 2004 IBM Inc.
 *
[... rest of blob deleted ...]

Okay, what is going on here?

Since git 1.6.1.1 just got installed on kernel.org, this phenomenon (and
hopefully Ingo's problem, too) maybe has something to do with this new
version?

	-hpa

--
H. Peter Anvin, Intel Open Source Technology Center
I work for Intel.  I don't speak on their behalf.