Subject: Re: [EGIT PATCH 06/11] Implement basic customizable label decorations with preferences

From: Tor Arne Vestbø <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2009 22:00:36 +0100

Tor Arne Vestbø wrote:
>> I miss the red attention-gathering red conflict icon we had.
> 
> Happy to replace. If I remember correctly that's the symbol used by
> other plugins to indicate conflicts, so I was aiming for consistency and
> recognizability.

Okey, I've replaced the blue one with the default conflict icon from the
team org.eclipse.team.ui plugin, what can be more consistent then that?
:) See mockup below.

>> I also have a hard time distinguishing the staged/added/removed icons
>> without reading glasses. The decorations are only 1.3 mm on my 
>> screen (150 dpi), so I think the icons should have different colors
>> and different shapes instead of a few different pixels withing a
>> square box.>
> 
> Noted, I'll try to make some mocukups of variations to the icons.

Here are two alternatives. The first one (A) uses the same icons as
before, but adds red and green shading. The second one (B) uses the
green plus sign for added (which is used all over the place in Eclipse
to mean 'added'), and the gray x for removed (which is also used all
over the place in Eclipse for that same concept).

http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/5138/egitmockupmm7.png

I favor solution B, as it uses recognizable concepts from the existing
Eclipse UI, plus that having a red removed-icon conflicts too much with
the conflict-icon (pun intended). There's also a very similar red icon
in JDT that indicates that something needs fixing (a red medic kit),
which is another reason to go with solution B.

What do you say?

Tor Arne

> 
>> I'd also like to see the conflict state for files inherited by parent
>> folder and projects.
> 
> Good idea, like the synchronize view shows it. Noted.
> 
>> The checkboxes in the general tab have no effect on the preview.
> 
> True. Should be easy to fix.
> 
> Thanks for the feedback!
> 
> Tor Arne