Subject: Re: [EGIT PATCH 06/11] Implement basic customizable label decorations with preferences

From: Tor Arne Vestbø <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2009 22:44:23 +0100

Robin Rosenberg wrote:
> torsdag 05 februari 2009 22:00:36 skrev Tor Arne Vestbø:
>> Here are two alternatives. The first one (A) uses the same icons as
>> before, but adds red and green shading. The second one (B) uses the
>> green plus sign for added (which is used all over the place in Eclipse
>> to mean 'added'), and the gray x for removed (which is also used all
>> over the place in Eclipse for that same concept).
>>
>> http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/5138/egitmockupmm7.png
>>
>> I favor solution B, as it uses recognizable concepts from the existing
>> Eclipse UI, plus that having a red removed-icon conflicts too much with
>> the conflict-icon (pun intended). There's also a very similar red icon
>> in JDT that indicates that something needs fixing (a red medic kit),
>> which is another reason to go with solution B.
> 
> I go with B.

All right :)

> Btw, shouldn't staged, added and removed also count as outgoing, i.e. ">" ?

Currently there's two variables, 'dirty', and 'staged'. The former
mappps to a diff between working directory and index, and has the
default symbol '>'. The latter mapps to a diff between index and
repository, with the default symbol '*'.

The default decoration for files does not have the 'staged' variable,
but you can add {staged} for a *, or override with {staged:>} for a >.

The idea was to get both states between wd and index and index and repo
in the decorators. We could add an option to treat both as one, ie only
care about wd vs repo?

I plan to implement the synchronize view too, in which case we could
share these two pieces of information between the Package Explorer (wd
vs index), and the Synchronize View (index vs repo), similar to how git
gui works.

Tor Arne