Subject: Re: git maintenance bug tracker sooner better than later

From: Andreas Ericsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 06 Feb 2009 13:56:02 +0100

[email-masked] wrote:
> Anyway, I have this file
>   -rw-r--r--  1   19561 2009-01-13 03:26 DietCherries17
> where I have 17 tiny documentation patches that sent to
> [email-masked] but nothing happened.
> Perhaps I could send them to a volunteer who could see if any of them
> are useful and then do something with them. Thanks.

That's really not how things work around here, or on any OSS project
I've ever been engaged in. It's your itch to scratch, so before you
have a chance of getting anyone else to scratch it for you, you have
to either make those others interested enough to volunteer to do it
for you, or you get to scratch away as much as you like yourself.

The longer and more difficult way is to scratch the itches of so
many others that people want to help you out because the chance
you'll do something else which is *also* productive is high enough
to warrant it. So far, you seem more interested in shooting from
the hip, sending patches at random that have little or no impact
on anything and that nobody else is genuinely interested in. That's
fine if you also pick up the pieces of your poor aim and actually
follow through but when it really just causes more work for others
than the end-result would have been worth to start with, the net
result is counter-productive and you have to work harder when you
have ideas/patches that are actually good than you would have been
forced to with a better overall signal-to-noise ratio.

-- 
Andreas Ericsson                   [email-masked]
OP5 AB                             www.op5.se
Tel: +46 8-230225                  Fax: +46 8-230231