Subject: Re: [PATCH v2] Enable setting attach as the default in .gitconfig for git-format-patch.

From: Ben Bucksch <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Feb 2009 14:52:01 +0100

On 09.02.2009 14:36, Johannes Schindelin wrote:
> On Mon, 9 Feb 2009, Ben Bucksch wrote:
>    
>> Or you could just publish:
>> 1. Prefs | Advanced | General | Config Editor...
>> 2. "mailnews.send_plaintext_flowed" = false
>>      
> Ah.  Mhm...
>    
>> As inline attachments, they'll show up inline in the msg viewer as well
>>      
> ... which is a moot point, as the responder has to do extra work to quote
> the stuff.  Definitely not my type of friendliness.

In newer Thunderbirds, you can mark / select a text, and when you hit 
reply, it (and only that) will be quoted - called selective quote. You 
can press Ctrl-A (for Select All) before hitting reply, and the inline 
attachment will be included in the quote.

> I stay by my word and recommend other mailers than Thunderbird.
>    

Please be sure to also cite the pref change I mentioned above as 
alternative.

<diversion>
> It is one thing to be nice to the "average" user, but another one to be
> unfriendly to the people making the internet revolution possible.
>    
Hey now!

I hope you realize that Netscape / Mozilla had a really important role 
in making the Internet popular in the public in the first place (the 
alternatives were AOL and CompuServe back then), and that Mozilla is 
*the* most-used Open Source application. In fact, Firefox' market share 
on Windows made a large contribution to Linux, by convincing web sites 
authors to not assume IE, which is a big reason why Linux is usable at 
all. Imagine the web or email was only usable with IE or Outlook...
</diversion>

I use Linux myself everywhere, and recommend it to many people, and I 
think it's technically excellent.

BTW: I want to use this occasion to thank all you Linux programmers for 
your awesome, technically superiour work. Thanks a lot, and keep it up! :-)

Ben