Subject: Re: Thunderbird and patches (was Re: [PATCH v2] Enable setting attach as the default in .gitconfig for git-format-patch.)

From: Ben Bucksch <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Feb 2009 15:18:15 +0100

On 09.02.2009 14:52, Jeremy White wrote:
> I discovered that if I just injected charset=iso-2022-jp, format=flowed
> would stay off!<grin>
>    
(This was a hack, caused by the different use of spaces in Japanese / 
CJK, which means a different kind of "flow".)

> Ben, along those lines, we do have the ability to control the entire 
> body of a possible patch before Thunderbird sees it. Would it be 
> possible, or reasonable, for Thunderbird to look for and preserve a 
> 'format=fixed' setting inside a body that we generated?

I don't know how you're injecting the email to Thunderbird. mailto:?

What you propose is a header, not a body.
(I'm a bit irritated that TB would react to a charset header *in the 
body*, but maybe that's a hack specially for charsets, in some code part 
I don't know, given that they are unfortunately sometimes only marked in 
content.)

I think it would most likely work easily if you inject HTML (read before 
you scream):
mailto:[email-masked]?html-body=Here's patch revision abc from repo 
def:<p><pre>Patch: file ....<br>+++ bla<br>line 3<br></pre>
(properly escaped, of course)
It should invoke the normal rich editor, with the patch properly marked 
as preformatted. Once you send it, it would send it as plaintext, 
depending on your prefs. During the formatting, it would see the 
preformat section and should send it out with the lineendings as marked.
I haven't tried the full chain, but it's something to play with.

Ben