Subject: Re: Thunderbird and patches

From: Ben Bucksch <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Feb 2009 23:39:02 +0100

Summary of proposed/possible solutions:

    * TB | normal msg viewer | main menu | File | Save As | File |
      "foo.eml" saves the verbatim, on the wire RFC822 mail
      (that may include quoted printable etc., though, so verbatim may
      not actually be what you want)
    * You can turn off format=flowed during sending, if it disturbs you:
         1. Prefs | Advanced | General | Config Editor...
         2. "mailnews.send_plaintext_flowed" = false
    * Jeremy White has a patch for git-imap-send to work around TB's
      body reformatting, by inserting a preformatted (<pre>) section.

(Other solutions, involves other software:)

    * I strong suggest to send inline attachments (Content-Disposition:
      inline, RFC 2183 [1], Internet Standard), because patches are
      arguably files, and the body is for human language text.
      Therefore, it's an attachment that you want to see inline,
      therefore inline attachment is the IMHO correct solution.
      If some mailers cannot handle this comfortably (display inline,
      quote), maybe you can also advocate having *them* fixed.

[1] <http://www.apps.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2183.html>